1. What is the best place to get club info about classes, events, dates etc.?
You will find general information on the UHDTC home page. Please check the Club Calendar and the Upper Hutt Dog Training Club Facebook Group for information on events and classes.
2. When can my dog and I join a class?
Dogs must have passed the Canine Good Basics and preferably the Dog Manners class (or equivalent classes) before they can enrol in other classes such as Agility, Rally-O, or Flygility. Children can start with the Kids Class. For attendance we require all dogs to be fully vaccinated prior to the start of term. We recommend the kennel cough vaccine but it is not required. Canine Good Basics is suitable for dogs aged 5 months and above. Obedience Elementary can be started sooner but this has to be approved by the instructor. Dog must be at least 12 months old for Agility and Flygility. All dogs must be registered with the District Council.
9. Will training be on if it rains?
Please check the Upper Hutt Dog Training Club Facebook Group. One of our volunteers will try to post weather related cancellations at 5 p.m. on the day of class. For the safety of dogs and handlers we may also have to cancel classes if the grounds are still too wet. If applicable, make up lessons will be posted on Facebook.
10. What if my dog is sick? The safety of your dog and other dogs in the class is important to us. If your dog is sick or injured, please do not bring him/her to class. It is especially important to keep your dog away from others when it has a contagious disease such as Kennel Cough. While most dogs recover very quickly from Kennel Cough, in puppies, older dogs and those with underlying health conditions, it can lead to pneumonia and death.
15. I paid my membership and annual training fee. Which classes can I join?
All dogs must have passed the Canine Good Basics or equivalent class before they can enrol in other classes. You can sign up for classes via the Enrolments Page. You do not have to be a member to enrol in a class and can choose to pay per class.
Visit the individual class pages to find out more about competitions for each dog sport.
17. Does the club have any COVID related requirements or guidelines?
Please see the COVID information page for information on COVID related requirements, cancellations, or changes to the class schedule.
19. How can I help?
Our club is run by volunteers who are passionate about dogs and dog sports. We are always on the lookout for committee members as well as volunteers to assist our instructors, to help out at dog shows and events, or to help with administrative tasks. Feel free to talk to us; we would love to hear from you! For more information or to sign-up as a volunteer, please contact us here.