Do more with your dog!
Registration for classes, 2019
Dog Sport Basics...
Once you have passed Canine Good Basics you can do some more things with your dog by joining our Dog Sport Basics class. This class builds on the skills gained from the CGB class and introduces you and your dog to new challenges that will both improve your relationship with your dog and can lead on to other dog related activities.
We work on Canine good Citizen exercises, Obedience and Rally-O exercises as well as balance and fitness exercises using some agility foundation exercises.
What to bring each week depends on the roster - keep an eye on the facebook group.
Once you pass Dog Sport Basics you can move on to; Obedience, Agility competition and Canine Good citizen groups.
Please bring to class each week:-
- Toy your dog likes to tug with
- Food rewards (e.g. Possyum or Chunky dog roll available from PaknSave or Upper Hutt produce, liver cake, luncheon chubb etc
- cut into small pieces)
- in a solid plastic container with a lid (NOT in a plastic bag)
- Do NOT bring dried food or treats that crumbles and fall apart.
- Poo bags
Canine Good citizen.
Every week you MUST bring poobags and we will check to see your dog is wearing a current registration disc .
Other items you may need to bring include: grooming tools, food bowls etc. Your instructor will let you know what to bring each week.
Bring running shoes, a toy your dog likes, clicker, food rewards. You may need to bring additional items - your instructor will let you know.
You will be learning some of the skills listed below.
- Go round Cones/wings
- Balance on a pod
- Tricks for a good supple body
- Planks, confidence and balance
- Ladder for balance and control
Using your dog's food during term.
We want you to have the best chance of learning new things at club, and putting both you and your dog in the best frame of mind for learning is the way to achieve this.
In regards to your dog this means:
- Bring a hungry dog to training
- Bring a dog with energy to training
Some RallyO signs to learn
RallyO is a sport where the dog and handler negotiate a course setup by the judge. The course is numbered and the handler cue the dog to do the exercises as shown by the signs. The round is timed with the team that gets the most points in the fastest time being the winner.
The challenge to start with is :-
1. learning what the signs mean
2. teaching your dog to perform what is required
and then you need to be able to do it without holding treats or toys.
It is very satisfying when you start to link all the stations together to make a course, and you and your dog can negotiate it successfully.
Click here to view some of the signs we learn in Dog Sport Basics
1. Halt-sit-walk around dog
2. Recall to front
3. loose lead walking
4. Meet and greet another person/dog
5. Turns during walking
6. Figure of eight (swap sides)
7. Go through short tunnel
8. Calm when tied up, 30 seconds