Registration for classes
What to bring to Essential skills #1 classes.
Please bring to class each week:-
- A toy your dog likes
- Great food rewards e.g. Possyum or Chunky dog roll (available from PaknSave or Upper Hutt produce), liver cake, luncheon chubb etc. cut into small pieces about the size of your little finger nail) in a solid plastic container with a lid (NOT in a plastic bag)
- Do NOT bring any dried food or treats or chicken or other meat that crumbles and falls apart. Read more about food....
- Clicker (you receive this week one)
- a mat for your dog to lie on (like a car mat or small piece of carpet)
- Poo bags
- a box your dog can sit in – not so high they can’t get in easily eg. banana box from Supermarket.
- Its handy to put everything in the box/easy to carry!
Canine Good Basics training diary
Using your dog's food during term.
We want you to have the best chance of learning new things at club, and putting both you and your dog in the best frame of mind for learning is the way to achieve this.
In regards to your dog this means:
- Bring a hungry dog to training
- Bring a dog with energy to training
Gentle leader head collar
If your dog is headstrong and you find it difficult to keep him with you, or he pulls like a train and you are worried he might pull you or the lighter members of your family over - Buy a Gentle leader Head collar.
They work incredibly well on calming dogs and they simply cannot pull you when they are wearing one. This means you are free to concentrate on the other aspects of your training.
You can buy them from any Pet shop.
We recommend Gentle Leader headcollars because they can be adjusted easily to suit your individual dog.
Directions To Club Grounds
Entry is via Moehau Grove, off Holdsworth Ave. Please drive slowly, car parking is on the shingle car park, past the club rooms.
This presentation will cover care and protection of our dogs, dog control policy, club etiquette, what to bring to every class and a review of what we will be covering in our Essential Skills programme.
We will show you how the Essential Skills programme is the foundation for all other activities UHDTS offers, including CGC, obedience, agility, rally, flygility.
Please do not bring your dog.
Recalling the dog
Sit in a box
This is one of our activities in Essential skills. Why?
- It ensures all handlers and dogs stay within their own safe space.
- It creates a focus for the dog
- Its a safe place for the dog
- Allows an easy way to practice stays
- Practice waiting before getting out of the car, going through a door, down stairs etc
- Teaches dog to interact with an object - improves confidence
- Handler can try different ways to train the dog - luring and shaping etc
- Helps dog become more coordinated
- A place to store all your training stuff!!
Get a box and make a start today!
Practise during the week and remember not to use a cue word just yet or lure your pup to touch your hand. Keep your sessions short and fun. Here is a short video clip of the action for you. Put your clickers away for this and practise giving the reward quickly into the hand your pup has nose touched. The action you want is a nose press as if he is pushing a button hard to open something - no licks or 'cruise bys' allowed :-). Practise hand targetting with your pup lying on his mat (you don't need to use the bed)
Puppy lie down on a mat, go to a mat.
It's your choice
"It's your Choice" here's a lovely little video of teaching this. I like that the handler takes one treat out her open hand and gives it to the dog - he is not allowed to help himself. This will work well for all of you
Essential skills #2.
This class follows Essential skills #1.
What to bring each week will depend on if it is the Canine Good citizen option or the RallyO/Pre-agility option.
Please bring to class each week:-
- Toy your dog likes to tug with
- Food rewards (e.g. Possyum or Chunky dog roll available from PaknSave or Upper Hutt produce, , liver cake, luncheon chubb etc. cut into small pieces) in a solid plastic container with a lid (NOT in a plastic bag)
- Do NOT bring any dried food or treats or meat that crumbles and falls apart.
- Poo bags
Canine Good citizen.
Every week you MUST bring poobags and registration disc is checked.
Other items you may need to bring include: grooming tools, food bowls etc. Your instructor will let you know what to bring each week.
Bring running shoes, a toy your dog likes, clicker, food rewards. You may need to bring additional items - your inmstructor will let you know.
You will be learning some of the skills listed below.
Cones/wings -Wraps (multiple), send (Cone, toy, mat), send & leave, 2 cones, figure of eight, cone course
Add other equipment - send to tunnel, extension recall
Tunnel -Curved flexi tunnel, Collapsible tunnel, send to tunnel- angles, CALL out of tunnel
Jumps – wings, hurdles, straight lines, curves, circles, lowered bars, single jump work, higher hoop, brush, spreads, LJ
Contacts - Planks, low equipment, 6 positions, reward at end, low seesaw, add jumps before and after
Weave - 2x2s up to 6. V-weave and lane, entries, add handler independence, both sides